Story Of Our Company
The CURTIL Vineyard has been a family business for 4 generations.
The planting of the vineyard in 1925-1926 by Mr. Pierre Curtil coincides with the creation of the estate, since its exploitation allows the production and the sale of a white and rosé table wine. At the same time, the company turned to a wine and beverage trading activity and home distribution. Pierre was taken prisoner as a resistant in 1944. He died in deportation.
His son Jean, with his mother Yvonne, took over the company and produced the first bottles of sparkling wine. His grandson Joël took over the business in 1973. He reconverted the family estate to the production of a quality sparkling white wine at first. A sparkling rosé was produced later.
Since 2015, the great-grandsons, Mickael and Johan have taken over the management of the CURTIL Vineyard.
The company is located in Corbeny (02), halfway between Reims and Laon since the beginning.
Origin of the name
Saint Marcoul is the name of a chapel housing a spring whose water has always been reputed for its curative virtues. The Kings of France used to make a pilgrimage to Corbeny every year for this famous spring... Now the Saint Marcoul Chapel adjoins the vineyard.
A little history
The cult of Saint Marcoul : of Norman origin, Saint Marcoul, renowned for his numerous cures, was buried in 558. In 898, his relics were saved from the Viking invasions and welcomed by Charles III in his royal villa of Corbeny; from the 12th to the 17th century, they were the goal of a pilgrimage allowing to cure a plague reputed to be incurable, the écrouelles.
Twenty-one kings of France, as early as Robert I, accepted the custom of going to Corbeny, the day after their coronation in the abbey of Reims, to bow before the tomb and thus confirm their healing power.
For centuries, many pilgrims came regularly to prostrate themselves to obtain the cure of their ills or to thank the patron saint.
Occupied since September 1914, the village will be entirely destroyed in April 1917. The Chapel of Saint Marcoul will be rebuilt after the war.
A first personalized capsule was made in 2011.
A first collection was started in 2014 with 4 first capsules representing the different works of the vine and the wine. The 3 series of 4 capsules are out now until the beginning of 2020.
In 2020, 6 new capsules are presented on our bottles in honor of our ancestors. A small text is written on the front of the wirehoods to introduce them.